To ensure voter confidence in elections, The League of Women Voters of Santa Clara County supports voting systems and procedures that are secure, accurate, re-countable, accessible, and fair.
- A SECURE voting system requires:
- open source code for all machines
- testing of machines before and during elections sufficient to detect most anomalies; predetermination of consequences that would automatically result from any detected anomalies
- well-defined controls on access to machines before and during elections
- a certification process for machines, at national and state levels, that is independent of vendor influence
An ACCURATE voting system requires voter verification of his/her choices, using preferred medium (paper or audio)
A RECOUNTABLE voting system requires
- more than one type of counting system available (such as machine, manual)
- appropriately delineated automatic recounts
An ACCESSIBLE voting system requires
- information for all voters on registration and the voting process
- prominent consideration of human factors and ease of use during the design, evaluation, certification, and procurement of voting systems; and in local management as well, such as in having uniform listing of voting issues/candidates across ballot pamphlets, paper ballots, and screens.
A FAIR voting system requires
- openness and transparency, which should include as a minimum
- testing, counts, and recounts open to observers
- open publication of test and test results, including machine certification
- an active County citizens' oversight committee, and other advisory committees as needed
- privacy for all voters
- appropriate jurisdictional control of responsibility for funding and implementation of voting systems, taking into account the need to balance basic standards and local control
Voting PROCEDURES must include
- poll worker training commensurate with responsibilities
- uniform standards for provisional ballots, including enfranchisement outside home precinct
DECISIONS about voting systems and procedures should include consideration of new technologies.
What is a position?